When looking for a new RSO on campus to join, I stumbled upon Program Board. I had always noticed the PB logo on the activities flyers on campus and had been told by many people how fun it was, so I decided to go to a meeting. Upon walking in, I was greeted by many different people and felt instantly welcomed into this new club.
Program Board is an organization on CMU’s campus that plans different events and entertainment acts to allow students to get involved on campus. The mission statement for this wonderful RSO is to “provide diverse entertainment and programs for free or at an affordable cost to CMU students and community members.”
Program Board planned so many different activities on campus this year, and all of them were major hits. Some of these events included:
- Canvas and Coffee (painting a design on a canvas while drinking coffee and getting to know other students in the process)
- Multiple comedy shows
- Magic shows
- CMU’s Spring Concert (s/o to Public and Jesse McCartney)
- Movie showings with popcorn and other snacks
- Trivia Nights
- Up All Night (an all-campus event that takes place from 11pm-3am that allows students to snag tons of free food, play games, enter in raffles, run around in bounce houses, dance to music, tie-dye shirts, and rollerskate)
- Safer Sex Patrol (going to bars and informing people about safe sex)
- Maroonzie (a music and arts festival in the spring for CMU students that includes free food, henna tattoos, live music, paintings, and photo booths)
Program Board is a really great opportunity to make connections with others and get involved on campus. Because everyone in the club is super outgoing and the members really care about another, the environment is incredibly welcoming. We started each meeting off with an icebreaker to get everyone chatting, and then later addressed any birthdays of any members and talked about any events we had coming up. The people in this RSO really make each other feel valued, and they really want to get to know everyone and their interests.